The Work That Reconnects (WTR) is a spiritual reconnection program that helps us heal and move forward. Drawing from deep ecology, systems theory and spiritual traditions, the Work That Reconnects (WTR) builds motivation, creativity, courage and solidarity for the transition to a sustainable human culture. First emerging in 1978, this pioneering, open-source body of work has its roots in the teachings and experiential methods of Joanna Macy.
It builds motivation, creativity, courage and solidarity for the transition to a sustainable human culture. First merging in 1978, this pioneering, open-source body of work has its roots in the teachings and experiential methods of Joanna Macy
#1 WTR introduction and first steps The very first step is to acknowledge our numbness, our obliviousness and reluctant acceptance of the world around us. We harbor ignorance, guilt, despair, anguish and PAIN over our disconnection with our true natureThe LeLc will be hosting and collaborating with WTR work. Here are some of the lessons we will be offering:
(1) This world, into which we are born and take our being, is alive.
(2) Our true nature is far more ancient and encompassing than the separate self defined by habit and society
(3) Our experience of pain for the world springs from our connectivity with all beings, from which also arise our powers to act on their behalf.
(4) Unblocking occurs when our pain for the world is not only acknowledged, but experienced.
(5) When we reconnect with life by choosing to bear our pain for it, the mind retrieves its natural clarity.
(6) The experience of reconnection with the Earth community arouses the urge to act on its behalf.
You have three choices – choose one.
(1) Business As Usual, where the defining assumption is that there is little need to change the way we live in accordance with corporate rule. This is the story we hear from our political and corporate leaders and the mainstream media. (2) Great Unraveling, as it widens perceptions to include the disasters that Business As Usual is bringing upon us. It removes the blinders that obscure the collapse of ecological, social, and agricultural systems, the mass extinction of species, the accelerating disturbance of our planet’s climate. (3) Great Turning….is embodied in all those who see where the first story is taking us, and who refuse to let the second story have the last word. It is the epochal transition from an industrial growth society to a life-sustaining civilization.
Personal Guidelines – Come from Gratitude
To be alive in this beautiful, self-organizing universe–to participate in the dance of life with senses to perceive it, lungs that breathe it, organs that draw nourishment from it–is a wonder beyond words. Gratitude for the gift of life is the primary wellspring of all religions, the hallmark of the mystic, the source of all true art. Furthermore, it is a privilege to be alive in this time when we can choose to take part in the self-healing of our world.
Don’t be Afraid of the Dark This is a dark time, filled with suffering and uncertainty. Like living cells in a larger body, it is natural that we feel the trauma of our world. So don’t be afraid of the anguish you feel, or the anger or fear, for these responses arise from the depth of your caring and the truth of your interconnectedness with all beings. To suffer with is the literal meaning of compassion.
Dare to Vision Out of this darkness a new world can arise, not to be constructed by our minds so much as to emerge from our dreams. Even though we cannot see clearly how it’s going to turn out, we are still called to let the future into our imagination. We will never be able to build what we have not first cherished in our hearts Roll up your Sleeves
Many people don’t get involved in the Great Turning because there are so many different issues, which seem to compete with each other. Shall I save the whales or help battered children? The truth is that all aspects of the current crisis reflect the same mistake, setting ourselves apart and using others for our gain. So to heal one aspect helps the others to heal as well. Just find what you love to work on and take joy in that. Never try to do it alone. Link up with others; you’ll spark each others’ ideas and sustain each others’ energy..
Act your Age
Since every particle in your body goes back to the first flaring forth of space and time, you’re really as old as the universe. So when you are lobbying at your congressperson’s office, or visiting your local utility, or testifying at a hearing on nuclear waste, or standing up to protect an old grove of redwoods, you are doing that not out of some personal whim, but in the full authority of your 15 billions years.
Living Energy Learning Center by Fred Klammt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.winsol.org.