It is not obvious to short-term visitors, but WinSol3 embodies diversion from our common mainstream human behaviour. Energy & water conservation, renewable energies, zero waste, etc. are not some cool thing to do or incentivized by government funds and tax credits – they are seamlessly integrated into everyday life without sacrifice – it’s just a good way to live within one earth.
WinSol is 100% off-grid, 100% rainwater, built from 80% local and re-used materials. We are working on our own year-round food production, currently at about 20%.
WinSol3 is comfortable year round based on its computer-aided envelope design with multi-story, wrap-around windows and >14tons of thermal mass.
WinSol3 is a stand-alone home located in the Sierra mountains at about 4,300ft. elevation.
It is the 3rd generation of a personal endeavor building a Bucky Fuller’s Dyaxiom Home, incorporating principles of Cradle-to-Cradle® and permaculture.
WinSol3 costs about $20/year to operate (plus property taxes). It is designed to heat + cool itself passively. It incorporates appropriate hi-tech and proven ancient wisdom. WinSol3 uses less than one earth* (<1400 w/p/d). It gives back more than it takes from nature. All its systems are multi-functional and interconnected.
*when we use more than one earth we are living on the backs of other people and borrowing from future generations.
Main Features of WinSol3:
1. Close-the-loop (Cradle to Cradle®)
2. Built w.80%+ Salvaged Materials
3. 100% Rainwater Harvesting
4. Biodynamic gardens
5. Beyond net-zero Energy
6. Learning center (in progress)
Energy System Specs:
* PV system: 6-30W, 3-100W PV panels to 35a controller to 3KW inverter, * 400W wind generator
* 4-L16 6V Trojan batteries,*SHW drainback: 2,3×6’ Brazed copper absorber plates, 66 g storage tank
* Dual lighting wiring 12VDC LEDS and 120VAC bulbs.